Pita for Pizza
Low carb pizza recipes typically leave you eating one-slice and drooling for more. And, who can stop at one piece of pizza? Flash back to an online-client in 2012 who mailed us a bag of Joseph Bakeries Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread as she was enjoying them for a low-carb bread substitute. After one bite, we knew she had struck low calorie gold!
Joseph Pita Bread works great for our low carb pizza recipe since they only have 8 grams of carbs in each and they are legit thick pita bread. It’s not like those super thin tortilla’s that tear just trying to get them unstuck from each other in the bag. So, head to Super Walmart and grab a bag or two for your next pizza night with the kids as they’ll love making their own mini pizza, too.
Low Carb Pizza Recipe Ingredients
- Pizza sauce – we opt for the simple and cheap stuff (look for the non-sugar added stuff)
- EVOO – extra virgin olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Sea salt
- Veggies of choice: we used green and red bell peppers
- Protein source: chicken breast, ground turkey, lean ground beef (0.5 to 1 oz per pizza)
- Low fat shredded cheese
- Optional: Turkey pepperoni
Note: Joseph Pita Bread has 5g of protein in each pita so you may not need to add additional protein except for the optional turkey pepperoni
- Preheat your over to 350 degrees
- Lightly brush the pita bread with EVOO and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and sea salt to your liking
- Bake pita bread until it just starts to brown (don’t let it get too crispy), then remove from oven
- Add 1-2 tbsp of pizza sauce to each pita bread
- Top with raw spinach, cooked peppers/veggies, and cooked meat of choice
- Sprinkle lightly with cheese
- Add red pepper flakes to taste
- Bake for 5-10 minutes until pita bread is golden brown and cheese is fully melted and bubbling.
- Bon Appétit!